NUTRA FOLIC is a dietary supplement based on Folate, which contributes to the growth of maternal tissues in pregnancy, the normal hemopoiesis and the normal metabolism of homocysteine. It also intervenes in the process of cell division and in the normal function of the immune system.
Folate or Calcium Methylfolate is the biologically active form of folic acid.
Folates are known for their role:
- In the cellular synthesis of DNA, RNA and proteins.
- In the processes of cellular differentiation and duplication (blood and skin cells).
- In the formation of the embryo.
- In synergy with vitamin B12 and vitamin B6, in the metabolism and in the control of the values of homocysteine, a sulfur amino acid that, if highly concentrated in the blood, is considered a cardiovascular risk factor.
A folate deficiency may result in:
- Risk of serious fetal malformations, such as neural tube defects (spina bifida, anencephaly).
A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes (sources of folate) can help reduce the incidence of congenital malformations; however, the only diet is not always sufficient to cover daily needs, so, during a pregnancy, it is necessary to set up a diet with dietary supplements containing folate.
Several studies have shown that folate/folic acid supplementation during pregnancy is effective in preventing neural tube defects, reducing the risk of congenital diseases by up to 70%.